13 February 2009

13 February 2009 Photo: Triskaidekaphobia

Do you have Triskaidekaphobia ? Today is Friday the 13th and the number 13 has a long history debating whether it is a lucky or unlucky numbers.

In the U.S. there are many traditions to avoid the number 13...many buildings do not have a 13th floor, some cities with numbered streets do not have a 13th Street, there is not a cinema 13 in the some theaters.

However in some cases, just the opposite is true. Just down the road a piece is Colgate University and they consider 13 to be a lucky number. They were founded in 1819 by 13 men with 13 dollars, 13 prayers, and 13 articles. (To this day, members of the Colgate community consider the number 13 a good omen.) In fact, the campus address is 13 Oak Drive in Hamilton, NY and the all men a cappella group is called the Colgate 13.

Today, for me 13 is a lucky number. Since I am leaving for a conference tomorrow, Bill decided February 13th was going to be our Valentine's Day. I got beautiful flowers and he is making dinner for me (we'll see if I can keep my nose out of the kitchen).

No comments:

Post a Comment