14 February 2009

14 February 2009 Photo: Seasoned Traveler???

Funny story...at this exact moment, I expected to be on a plane to Chicago and then onto Portland, Oregon. As I was getting ready today...packing, making a list and checking it twice, printing off my hotel and flight confirmation WHAT!!!??? WAIT?!?! I can't believe United screwed up my flight! Why does it have February 15th on my ticket confirmation? What the @#$*?

So after I stopped freaking out and checked to see who made the mistake, I realized it was ME!!! I know...impossible for the seasoned traveler that I am but it was true. So after calling United twice and speaking to someone in India both times, they were VERY unhelpful. So I decided to take my chances and go to the airport to see if there was a slim chance in hell to get me on a flight today or at least in Portland before my meeting tomorrow at 6pm. I entered the airport and there was a line snaking by the United check in counter so I knew it did not look good.

After planning my sob story, I was amazed and confused by the VERY HELPFUL agent at the counter. She laughed at my story and apologized that she could not get me on a flight tonight as everything was oversold and people were getting bumped off their flights already. I asked if there was any chance to get to Portland before 5pm tomorrow...I knew where was only one flight as I did my homework. Again no luck but she could get me there at 5:47 PM. Great! I'll take it. I was in awe when she handed me the tickets and I was in FIRST CLASS from Chicago to Portland and she did not charge me a change fee! After some VERY bad service with USAirways in the recent past, which I wrote a angry letter about, I feel like a letter of merit is due to United for this agent's help. Hmmm...maybe I will wait to see if the flights go without a hitch tomorrow and my luggage arrives with me.

So I am delayed a bit and had to cancel plans with a high school friend for tomorrow but all it all it worked out as well as could be expected. Since I was able to re-schedule seeing my friend and his family, no big loss except I will be a few minutes late to a dinner. Another lesson learned...check, double check and TRIPLE check when buying airline tickets. So I get to spend Valentine's Day with Bill afterall...

No comments:

Post a Comment