10 January 2009

10 January 2009 Photo: Spirals


When Bill and I were getting to know each other, I saw him doodling on a piece of paper and noticed him drawing spirals. I was intrigued because whenever I doodled (which I do frequently) spirals were always part of my repertoire and I like them in design items and art.

I found out that spirals for Bill was a part of the Celtic history/traditions (of which he is obsessed) that he knows so well. When I first went to New Zealand, I found this symbol is also important in New Zealand and Maori culture. It is called the koru and is prominent in the landscape and design of kiwi life.
"The spiral is the most ancient symbol found on every civilized continent. Due to its appearance at burial sites across the globe, the spiral most likely represented the "life-death-rebirth" cycle. Similarly, the spiral symbolized the sun, as ancient people thought the sun was born each morning, died each night, and was reborn the next morning."

This is a piece that we bought and you will find spirals all over our home...one design feature we DO agree on.

No comments:

Post a Comment