28 January 2009

28 January 2009 Photo: The Facebook Phenomenon


Are you part of the craziness they call Facebook? I actually had joined FB years ago when I worked at Cornell and then promptly forgot about it. It was not until a former student that worked in our office found me on my newest email address, that I remembered I had an account. He said I "facebooked" you and didn't hear from you. Facebook? I don't have a facebook account. Well when I went to the site and did a search, I found...myself. By some miracle I remembered the password and so began the addiction! Thanks Bryan! So now I too use facebook at a verb...poke people...write on people's walls...and update my status WAY TOO OFTEN! Imagine if we traveled through life the way we do on facebook. Check out this video spoof from a BBC show.

All that being said, it has been a wonderful way to reconnect with old friends, family and colleagues. I had dinner with an old friend from when I worked in Vermont. As mentioned before my job has me traveling to locations far and wide and so these FB connections sometimes become face to face re-connections. Here is a photo of Nicole, Christine and Ollie the puppy. Nicole was a student at Johnson State College when I was a Resident Director there. She was one of the amazing students who made my time in this sleepy little town in northern Vermont a memorable time in my life. I have worked in higher education for the almost 18 years and have interacted with thousands on students and Nicole is one that I made special bond with but we lost touch. Through the magic of FB, we are found.

No comments:

Post a Comment