06 January 2009

6 January 2009 Photo: Shout Out to George Eastman


Paul Simon says it best...
"They give us those nice bright colors

They give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day,
Oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph

So mama don't take my Kodachrome away"

Film was the name of the game when I first got interested in photography. I remember pouring over black and white photos when I was the yearbook editor in high school. Wow...that makes me sound old! And when digital first came out, I resisted for a long time. I wasn't going to do any of that digital new fangled stuff. I was a photo purist - I developed my own film, printed my own pictures (color and B&W), and believed the quality is so much better with film and paper. Well like most photographers (professional and amateurs), I sold out. Digital has come a long way, but sometimes I still miss the smell of the chemicals in the dark room.

I have a collection of old cameras and photo items that I started probably about 10 years ago. I am sure they will make it into the photo a day blog at some point. So here is the first shout out to George Eastman and Kodak. The company is in nearby Rochester, NY (RaChaCha to those in the know) and has been there since the late 1800's. There is a great museum so if you ever in that area, check out the George Eastman House .

No comments:

Post a Comment